Man Who Contracted Flesh-Eating Bacteria Warns Parents About Waterparks
Jonathan Daggett, 29, of Glendale, Arizona, checked into the hospital after getting flesh-eating bacteria. ABC15 reports that it almost shut his kidneys down before he went to the hospital.
“When I got here, I was pretty much deaf,” says Daggett in an interview with ABC15.
Earlier in the week, he thought he just had a fever and nausea, but he grew increasingly concerned when he felt a cyst in his stomach, and his skin started peeling off in sheets.
“I was twisting a cap on a bottle, and my skin just shifted over. I didn’t even know what was going on.”
What was going on was a flesh-eating bacteria infection.
“I was shocked when I heard that come out of their mouth,” adds Daggett.
Doctor’s conjecture that he got the infection at an area splash pad, but they can’t know for sure.
“When you come out of a water park, it’s best to wash yourself off,” says Frank LoVecchio, a doctor at the hospital where Daggett is being treated. Anyone can contract an infection like this, he says, through a cut or even a hair follicle.
He adds, “Unfortunately, as the heat goes up you’re more likely to develop bacteria and bacterial growth.”
Daggett is thankful to be alive and says he can feel himself begin to heal after a week in the hospital. But he wants people to be aware that this is possible.
“My message is pretty much, be careful with your kids. Investigate their body. Look and see if they have any cuts or wounds. It’s not a joke. It’s really serious,” Daggett said.