School wants parents to take responsibility – now their poster is spreading like wildfire online
School Wants Parents To Take Responsibility – Their Poster Is Spreading Like Wildfire Online. It’s a timeless question: where do a school’s responsibilities begin, and where does it end?
This is especially relevant when considering where to draw the line between what constitutes parents’ responsibilities, and the schools’.
A Portuguese school decided to clarify the matter once and for all, by sticking a poster – and the message it sends is now spreading like wildfire.
The school also shared its sign on their Facebook page, and the message contained within it quickly began to spread around the world.
The simple but effective sign highlights five key points where the school is determined should be managed by the parents, as follows:
- We would like to remind you that magic words such as hello, please, you’re welcome, I’m sorry, and thank you, all begin to be learned at home
- It’s also at home that children learn, to be honest, to be on time, diligent, show friends their sympathy, as well as show the utmost respect for their elders and all teachers.
- Home is where they learn to be clean, not talk with their mouths full, and how/where to dispose of garbage properly.
- Home is also where they learn to be organized, to take good care of their belongings, and that it’s not ok to touch others.
- Here at school, on the other hand, we teach language, math, history, geography, physics, sciences, and physical education. We only reinforce the education that children receive at home from their parents.
The online response has been immediate.
Do you think that schools in the US should be posting this in their hallways, too? Share if you agree that parents need to take responsibility for their children’s behavior!